Scott and Bridget met in 1993 and were married in 2001. In September of 2003 we welcomed our first miracle, James. 16 months later we brought home our second miracle, Annie. And in October of 2006 our family was complete with miracle #3, Gracie. Rett syndrome entered our lives when Annie was diagnosed on May 19, 2006. This is the life of the MacDonald family as we juggle 3 small children and battle Rett Syndrome until Gods perfect time when we are cured.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Challenge You!

Tonight I sat in my bed , watching a little TV, unwinding. I hear a "MOM!!" It's James, he's fighting something so I run in "what is it Jay?"
"My stomach and my chest hurt really bad"
"OK buddy, come on down and into mommy and daddy's room"
James proceeds to hop in my bed and I ask him some questions about what's wrong. We discovered it's a combination of indigestion and gas. Poor James is curled up, holding his breath and saying "It just hurts so bad". My mind goes to Annie - she spends most of her day, most all of her day's in this type of pain. I tell James "ya know mom can give you some medicine for that"
"What is it?" James asks.
"Mylanta"
"The stuff Annie takes all the time?" He asks
"Yup." "Ya know when Annie cries and screams, this is usually the reason, her tummy hurts a lot and she's not able to tell me so she cries."
James: "I'd cry and scream too. She's really smart....... Rett Syndrome really stinks"
"I know buddy. That's why mom and dad are always asking people for money, so the researchers can find a medicine to take it away."
"Mom, I'm going save my money and when I have $100 I'm going to give it to the researchers so they can help Annie"
"how are you going to save all that money James?"
"I'm going to do all the chores I can here and at Grammy's and Aunt Jen's and Aunt Katie's"
"You have a good heart buddy, I love you!"
"Love you too mom"
You see, James remembers a time when Annie wasn't sick. When Rett Syndrome was "hiding in her body" as he say's. He remembers when she said "Hi Jay"! and threw a ball, and was able to grab him and hug him all by herself!
He remembers when she could play "peak a boo" with him.
He remembers when her hands worked so well she could actually hold a book and turn the pages.
He remembers when they could play together, not him doing "hand over hand" to play with her.
He remembers when she could crawl,

and feed herself.
When he was able to rough house with her, not worrying about "brittle bones" like he has to now.
He remembers when Annie was able to care for him, instead of him always being her caregiver.
James has been Annie's #1 supporter since she was born, just 16 months after him.
James remembers before Rett Syndrome. When his best friend could play. He tells us that whenever Annie's in his dreams it's always "after her miracle". He wants his sister back.


So here's my challenge to you. My 7 year old is going to raise $100. Can you match him?
What can YOU do to raise $100 in October - Rett Syndrome Awareness Month?
Skip dinner once a week for the month?
Skip the coffee at the coffee shop?
Ask 10 coworkers for $10?
Join us at Quest for a Cure and get pledges to walk?
There's a million ways to get your hands on $100
Will you take the challenge? Will you play your part in saving the lives of 30,000 little girls in the U.S. alone? Will you help relieve their pain and give them a voice? My 7 year old is! Join him in his fight to get his sister back! Visit Annie's Page to hear her story and donate on-line.

6 comments:

  1. I am just bawling right now...that is so beautiful and touching. Your children have the biggest heart and are so caring, a true reflection of their Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears once again B. Big hugs! Terri and Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word. tears are streaming down my face. i'm a mess. i love that little james and i've never even met him. but he sounds so much like the kids who knew leah when rett syndrome was hiding in her body too. kids just get it. thank goodness for james. that is one special kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing that your little guy has such empathy and a huge heart for his sister. I am fighting back tears myself. I love the photos of Annie before Rett. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post. James is such an amazing little man. Hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. not sure how i missed this post! or why i didnt comment if I read it. what a wonderful child that James is. im totally crying now. the dreams of annie after her miracle...wow.

    ReplyDelete