Scott and Bridget met in 1993 and were married in 2001. In September of 2003 we welcomed our first miracle, James. 16 months later we brought home our second miracle, Annie. And in October of 2006 our family was complete with miracle #3, Gracie. Rett syndrome entered our lives when Annie was diagnosed on May 19, 2006. This is the life of the MacDonald family as we juggle 3 small children and battle Rett Syndrome until Gods perfect time when we are cured.

Monday, March 1, 2010

End the "R" Word

Have you ever said "I'm so retarded" or "this class is so retarded"? If you have chances are you weren't thinking about how painful your words are to people with different abilities. I know that I have overheard this word in restaurants and at the mall and each time I hear it my heart breaks and all I can think of is my sweet Annie and how much I want to protect her from hateful words. End the R-word Day, March 3rd, is an awareness effort day to “spread the word to end the word.” The idea is to eliminate the derogatory use of the "r" word from everyday speech and to teach acceptance and inclusion of those who are different. Check out www.r-word.org for more information.
In addition I just have to add that recently a show called "the Family Guy" has made fun of and mocked someone with down syndrome. I have never actually watched this show, I've seen commercials and find it rediculously offensive but with the recent show that they have aired they've no doubt crossed the line. I hope that anyone who has previously been a viewer will see their hateful nature and boycott the show. There is NO place for a TV show to put down an entire class of people that are unable to fight back.

No comments:

Post a Comment